Cafe at Home: How to Aero Press
So today we do a little deep dive into a cool coffee contraption, the Aero Press. This is a really great way of brewing some awesome coffee at home, the thing we love most about it is the Aero Press community is quite extensive. The recipes are extremely precise and allow you to come up with methods that truly result in the best cup of coffee for YOUR palate. Many people create their own recipes and compete each year for who makes "THE BEST" aero press coffee on the planet. If you'd like to see how we did it, check out our YouTube channel to watch, otherwise let's dive in to the three recipes we used!
We figured we'd start with the most recent Champion's Recipe, it can be found here as well as many others
Winner: 2019 W.A.C.
Wendelien van Bunnik, the Netherlands
- Pour 100g of water on the coffee in 10 seconds.
- Stir firmly for 20 times in 10 seconds.
- Put the filter cap with rinsed filter on the brewer and gently press out excess air.
- At 40 seconds, flip the AeroPress and press out all coffee. You should end up with roughly 60g of extracted coffee.
- Add 100g of water to the extracted coffee.
- Taste and add more water until the desired strength (I ended up with 120g dilution)
- Cool the brew down to roughly 60°C (140°F) by stirring and decanting
- Slurp & enjoy!
Grind:7/10 (1=very fine, 10=very coarse)
Water:100g Spa Blauw water (30PPM) @ 92°C (197.6°F)
Filter:Aesir Filter (Rinsed)
Total brew time:60 seconds
Winner: 2018 W.A.C.
Carolina Ibarra Garay, USA
- Set your water temperature at 85 degrees Celsius.
- Prepare your filter paper (by rinsing with hot water) and grind your coffee.
- Pour 100g of water for 30 sec.
- Stir vigorously but carefully with wooden pair of chopsticks for 30 sec.
- Put the filter cap on, flip the AeroPress and press into a glass server for 30 sec.
- Do not preheat your serving vessel.
- Top up your brew with 60g of 85 degrees Celsius water and 40g of room temperature water.
Grind:8/10 (1=very fine, 10=very coarse)
Water:160g @ 85°C, 40g at room temperature
Total brew time:1:30